Flushing House Founders
United Adult Ministries is the culmination of a tradition of service originating in 1916 Brooklyn. Moved by their faith, Mrs. W.G. Clark-Duff, Mrs. George W. Arms, Mrs. George Moore, Mrs. Charles Rasweiler and Mrs. Hans Popper, led eight Presbyterian women to begin caring for twelve mothers widowed by World War I, as well as the elderly in their neighborhood. Mrs. Clark-Duff served as President of the incorporated Brooklyn Presbyterian Home for the Aged. This soon expanded to serve more elderly with love, understanding and medical care. In 1933, they purchased the Presbyterian Guest House in Brooklyn to better serve the community. In 1940, they obtained the Brooklyn Home for Girls, and were able to expand their ministry. Around 1953, the city fire department considered the Guest House unsafe for community living, so Mrs. Rasweiler and Mrs. Popper sought the assistance of clergymen and elders of the church, who purchased the eleven acres owned by the Willock Estate in Syosset. In 1955, the residents from Brooklyn moved to the old Syosset mansion, which became the United Presbyterian Residence. By the late 1990’s, the United Presbyterian Residence (UPR) had grown to serve nearly 700 residents on a 33-acre campus.
In 1969 the First Congregational Church of Flushing, which occupied the corner of 38th Avenue and Bowne Street, was destroyed by fire. Shortly thereafter, UPR’s board of directors began looking for a place to provide housing to older adults who could live independently. A partnership was forged between the Presbyterian and Reformed churches, which secured the Bowne Street site for future development. In 1974, ground was broken and the construction of Flushing House Senior Retirement Residence began.
In 1975, Flushing House opened its doors and today is the largest not-for-profit, Independent Living retirement community in New York State, housing over 300 older adults. Flushing House has long been recognized as an innovator, one of the first to offer Independent Living for older adults, along with supportive services on the premises. Our 12-story, 319-unit residence maintains a reputation as one of New York’s leading centers for Independent Living for older adults. Flushing House was cited by New York Magazine (December 11, 2006) as the biggest independent-living residence on their list of the 20 most highly recommended elder-care facilities in the five boroughs.
In 1983, UPR’s board established a second service line, United Lifeline, which has become a leading personal emergency response service offering peace of mind, confidence and security to older adults in the Long Island and New York metropolitan area. With a press of their personal help button, subscribers can signal the 24-hour emergency response center for help. Call (516) 364-3401 or go to www.unitedlifeline.com.
Major changes took place in 1994, first the sale of UPR to Winthrop University Hospital and second, the board’s reorganization and incorporation as United Presbyterian & Reformed Adult Ministries (UPRAM), so it could continue to independently operate Flushing House and United Lifeline.
A third service line was launched in 2000, United Home Services. Individuals with disabilities and adults 55 and up, could now take advantage of low cost, reliable repair and maintenance services, enhancing their quality of life and extending their years at home. Call (516) 364-1530 or go to www.unitedhomeservices.org.
Also in 2000, UPRAM simplified its name to United Adult Ministries and also developed a new corporate logo, making it easy to remember and appealing to a broader audience.
Flushing House, United Home Services, and United Lifeline, are all not-for-profit organizations offered through United Adult Ministries (UAM). The UAM mission statement: United Adult Ministries offers older adults hope, through expanding opportunities and practical services, to live confidently in today’s world.
Visit the UAM website at www.uam.org.